History of the Ebell Club
The Ebell Club of Anaheim was formed in 1907 to expand the cultural life of Anaheim women, when Mrs. Harry Dyer invited nine women to meet at the H.A. Johnson home on east Broadway where "The Ebell Society of Anaheim" was organized on November 23, 1907. The organization was named for the Ebell Club of Oakland founded in 1876 by Dr. Adrian Ebell, who planned an International Academy with chapters throughout the world. The Anaheim Ebell Society incorporated in 1922, is affiliated with the General Federation of Women's Clubs and California Federation of Women's Clubs, Orange District.
The clubhouse was built and then dedicated on January 31, 1937 at the location where it still stands today at 226 N. Helena St. in the Mother Colony District of Anaheim. The Ebell Club of Anaheim is a non-profit women's club supporting the arts in the community as a member of the Anaheim Arts Council and awarding annual scholarships to six AUHSD students studying in the fine arts. We also currently support multiple community outreach projects.